Sunday, October 12, 2008

Vote Yes on Prop 8!


Please send this email to any friends or family that you have in the state of California. Also, please visit the following websites to show your support to vote “YES” on Prop 8.

Protectmarriage.com

Preservingmarriage.org

Dear Friends and Family,

I’m sure that many of you know about the current Proposition 8 that will be voted on November 4, 2008 here in the State of California. I was able to attend last night a broadcast titled “The Divine Institution of Marriage.” Many things were outlined of the great importance of working diligently to help it pass. Proposition 8 would add to the California State Constitution that marriage will be defined as a union only between a man and a woman.

I have been working with the “Yes on Prop 8” campaign because I know and believe that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. I know this to be a fundamental principle of my faith and children should have the right to be born into such a union.

These are my concerns that would come to be if Prop 8 were to fail.

1. I would lose my freedom of how I could practice my religion because sanctions could be placed on me because I could be considered intolerant.

2. My children would learn at school that same-sex marriage is acceptable even though it is contrary to our beliefs.

3. Our churches could be penalized legally and lose their tax-exempt status because they teach doctrine different than what law dictates.

4. Religious adoption agencies who work so hard to place children in homes with a mother and father would have to either close their doors or provide adoptions to same-sex couples.

Please don’t misjudge my feelings as being intolerant. The Savior is tolerant, which means he loves everyone but he does not agree with some of their choices. I have friends who are gay and they will continue to be my friends but I do not have to agree with the choice in lifestyle they have made.

My final point is that my rights as a voter have been taken away by a court that should not be able to do that. When Proposition 22, which passed with 61% of the voters support, was overturned, our rights as United States citizens were encroached upon. The only thing that would change for same-sex couples is the definition of marriage. They already receive every other benefit that heterosexual couples receive, so none of their rights would be taken away, but so many of MY rights would be. Intolerance goes both ways.

Please let others know how we should vote “YES” on Prop 8 to retain our rights.

Sincerely,
Shanna Reed

1 comment:

Jeanne Lewis said...

Wow! You have put so much work into this. I agree with you on the whole issue.